Neighbour Dispute about the Boundary, Right of Way or a Restrictive Covenant?

Paul Ashwell explains how to find the official information about yours and your neighbours’s properties.

The first step when there is a dispute is to find out what is registered at The Land Registry. You can get this by going to the Land Registry website here. (If you don’t know the address of the land you can locate it on a map or satellite image.)

The legal term for ownership is “title”.  You will usually want both the Title Register and the Title Plan.

The Register gives the name of the property, the date of registration, the name and address of the owner, price paid and information such as mortgages, rights of way and restrictive covenants.

The Title Plan is the official plan showing the extent of the land, with the boundaries marked in red, though as the scale of this plan is small so it is often not clear where the precise boundaries are.

From this you can clearly see the definitions of the land and who is responsible for what.

Filter Insights


Portfolio Builder

Select the legal services that you would like to download or add to the portfolio

Download    Add to portfolio   
Title Type CV Email

Remove All


Click here to share this shortlist.
(It will expire after 30 days.)